Alabama football head coach Nick Saban press conference notes
- Coach Saban began his press conference joking with the media about receiving more access and having to stay for the duration of practice in 100-degree conditions.
- Saban said this is one of the toughest weeks of fall camp. “This is the most difficult week. Everybody kind of looks forward to the first scrimmage, and this is a bit of a ‘hump’ week in terms of guys continuing to improve and working on the things we need to work on. Basically, you tell the players, ‘It’s all about where you are, where you want to go and how you’re going to get there’.”
- “We don’t have one player on our team that doesn’t have one thing that he can improve on.” Saban said the players have responded very well and have practiced very well so far this week.
- Saban noted that the Tide started practice dragging, but they picked it up a bit later on.
- The Tide practiced in very rough, hot conditions on Tuesday, but Saban said the team fought through the adverse situations well.
- Saban noted that wide receiver Chris Black underwent successful surgery on his shoulder. He is back with the team.
- Saban also noted that safety Jarrick Williams underwent surgery today to repair a torn ACL. “I haven’t talked to Doc yet, but I’m hoping that went well.”
- Saban on changes after the first scrimmage: “Nothing really, after watching the scrimmage film, that I might say that’s any different. The big lesson to be learned is that most of the time it’s about what we do. When we execute well, we have success. When we make mental errors, miss tackles, don’t block the right guys, don’t do pass protection correctly, don’t run routes at the right depth — things don’t work out so well.”
- Saban on what he looks for in a running back: “Every position has critical factors. One of the things that we always look for in backs is not only if they have change of direction, can run with some power, can run behind their pads — difficult to tackle guys. You can only be a complete player as a running back if you can be an effective receiver as well.”
- Coach Saban noted that one of the most important things the team is working to improve on this season is the ability to make ‘explosive plays’ in any way possible.
- He noted that making explosive plays and not turning the ball over are two of the most important things a football team can do.
- Saban said Nico Johnson, along with Barrett Jones, A.J. McCarron and D.J. Fluker, is a guy who has done a good job of leading the younger players and letting them know what the standards are at Alabama.
- When asked about what is done to make sure his players make the right decisions off the field, Coach Saban mentioned in great detail the different agencies and groups that are brought in to assist players.
- Saban on Barrett Jones: “Whether Barrett Jones was a football player or not, I think he would be one of the finest people that anyone in this room ,or anywhere else, would have the opportunity to meet. I think when you start getting as old as I am, you think back to the five people that affected you the most personally. Barrett Jones is one of those people that, if I was thinking about what five players did I ever coach that was as good of a person as I’ve ever been around . . . he would be one of the finest players that I ever had the opportunity to coach.”
About The Author
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.