Saturday practice report
The Alabama Crimson Tide football team practiced inside Bryant-Denny Stadium on Saturday afternoon before its first scrimmage of the fall. The Tide practiced in full pads in rather hot and humid conditions.
- No players were wearing black, no-contact jerseys during the brief media observation period.
- The media got a bit of a better look at some of the defensive units on Saturday. During a series of brief drills, junior college transfer Deion Belue looked swift in his cuts back to the ball. Belue had a phenomenal spring and will likely be a major contributor in the Crimson Tide secondary in 2012.
- With the recent news that defensive back Travell Dixon has left the team due to ‘family and personal reasons,’ the Tide has a bit of a void in the places where Dixon had been training during the spring. Dixon had received time in nickel packages and was being taught a number of different positions in order to utilize his skills in the proper manner in 2012. Players who may be poised to compete for the spot Dixon would have used are Bradley Sylve, true freshman Geno Smith and redshirt freshman Jabriel Washington.
- Jarrick Williams, while present at practice, was not dressed out.
- It would appear that the tight end/H-back position is gaining a little consistency. Michael Williams is the starting tight end, but the H-back position has been in question for quite some time. Harrison Jones and Brian Vogler are the two players competing for that spot, and it appears as if Jones may have the upper hand based on his position during drills.
- Freshman athlete Cyrus Jones is still working with the wide receivers. He made a spectacular grab during route-running drills. The 5-foot-10, 192-pounder projects as a wideout similar to sophomore Christion Jones.
The Tide went through its first scrimmage after the media observation period and a brief practice. Tomorrow will be an off day for the Crimson Tide, but on Monday the hard work continues with two practices.
Below are the scrimmage stats provided by University of Alabama’s media relations.
A.J. McCarron – 19 for 29, 222 yards, 1 TD
Eddie Lacy – 8 rushes, 57 yards
Jalston Fowler – 7 rushes, 34 yards, 1 TD
Kenyan Drake– 10 rushes, 33 yards, 1 TD
T.J. Yeldon – 13 rushes, 24 yards, 2 TD
Kevin Norwood – 2 rec., 61 yards
Amari Cooper – 3 rec., 52 yards, 1 TD
Jaslton Fowler– 3 rec., 40 yards
Michael Williams – 3 rec., 31 yards
Kenny Bell – 2 rec., 31 yards
Eddie Lacy – 5 rec., 25 yards
Trey DePriest – 5 tackles, 1 INT
Xzavier Dickson – 5 tackles
Robert Lester – 4 tackles
Ha Ha Clinton‐Dix – 4 tackles
Nick Perry – 4 tackles, 2 PBU
Vinnie Sunseri – 3 tackles, 1 blocked FG
Passing Touchdowns (2): A.J. McCarron – 1 (6 yards); Phillip Ely 1 (4 yards)
Rushing Touchdowns (4): T.J. Yeldon 2 (3 yards, 1 yard); Jalston Fowler – 1 (7 yards); Kenyan Drake – 1 (3 yards)
Defensive Touchdowns (1): Vinnie Sunseri (68‐yard blocked FG return)
About The Author
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.